Saturday, September 5, 2009

The Internet and BDSM: Has it had a Good Effect or a Bad One???

A comment I made on a post yesterday brought this topic to mind. I mentioned that the internet has brought BDSM out into the open. Although I think this is a good thing (overall), there are some down sides to having the BDSM lifestyle be a more mainstream subculture.

The big downside for me are all the wankers (both male and female) who think the BDSM community is a place to make a quick sex hook up. Then there are the newbies who profess to having 20 years experience, and they're in their 30s (Or, you can tell from their profile or their messages, that's just not possible.)

And I think both of these things has had a huge effect on the BDSM community as a whole. We used to be very nurturing to new people who were interested in learning about the lifestyle (once we trusted them enough to teach them the secret handshake!). Now, a newbie is considered a wanker and a poser until they prove otherwise. And that's just sad.

What are your thoughts? Has the Internet helped the BDSM subculture? Or has it hurt it?

2 comments:

  1. Miss Kinky knows I am a newbie because she is my mentor in the lifestyle. I am serious about being a sissymaid and I have spent hours learning how to appear feminine.

    Without the internet I could not be in the lifestyle at all because I still live at home with my parents.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Having been in the lifestyle since 1973, I have seen the way the lifestyle has changed since it began to appear on the internet.

    All too many wannabes have found a venue in which to cast their perverted passions. I would venture to guess that out of 100 people who claimed to be in the lifestyle on the internet, less than 10% truly are. The rest are wannabes, actors, scammers, etc. For the most part they have either read a book, watched a movie or read a story about the lifestyle and suddenly they decide that they are either a master or dom, mistress or domme, slave or sub, when in fact they have no idea what the lifestyle truly is.

    I have seen many people hurt and harmed by these wannabes and players. So much so that I work with an organization which has rescued many women and men, even children from the idiots who have abused them in the name of the lifestyle.

    I dislike saying what I am about to say, but the lifestyle needs to be cleaned up. Those who are wannabes, players etc. need to be removed from it as soon as possible because the rest of the world will look upon us a freaks instead of accepting us for who we truly are. While many of the vanillas do not understand the lifestyle they are accepting of it when they do not see the harm which is done by those who pretend to be in the lifestyle and destroy lives in the process.

    Nuff said for now. Those who read and understand, help remove the wannabes and players, expose them for what they are, liars and cheats to themselves and others.

    As It Is, so shall it become,
    ~Raya~

    ReplyDelete